Questions concerning the liability for military service?
The Regional Office will provide answers to a selection of frequently asked questions as listed below. The Regional Offices serve those liable for military service. The following list features the most frequently asked questions with answers provided by the Regional Office. In case this selection of answers fails to help you, please look up the information available online at varusmies.fi/en, and when applicable, contact your own Regional Office.
Before the Military Service
I will attend the call-ups this coming autumn. What exactly does a call-up event involve?
The call-up event is organised in order to have your identification information inspected and state of health examined as well as hear your own wishes concerning undertaking the military service. In addition, during the call-ups, decisions will be made on your fitness for service and the starting date and location of your conscript service. You will also receive information on the obligation to defend the country.
Prior to the call-ups, you will receive the Conscript Guide by post together with questionnaire forms and a call-up notice. Before the call-up event, you need to attend the preliminary medical examinations for persons liable for military service.
It pays off to prepare for the call-ups in advance by thinking about what exactly it is that you want from the military service. This involves giving it a though how you could utilise your own competence developed in the civilian life, and how the military service could be optimally beneficial to you as well. Please let the Call-Up Board know about your wishes concerning your military service.
I forgot my own call-up day, which was supposed to have been today? What do I do now?
Without any delay, please contact your own Regional Office and agree on a new call-up day. You can look up the contact information of your own Regional Office here.
A compelling reason will affect me on the call-up day, such as, for instance, taking a matriculation examination exam on a given subject. May I be absent from the call-ups?
According to Section 16 of the Conscription Act (1438/2007), a person liable for military service must attend the call-up event in person. However, you may change the date of the call up by agreeing on this in advance with your own Regional Office.
I am studying on a locality other than Helsinki where the call-up is ordered to take place? What should I do?
Please contact both your own Regional Office and the Regional Office of your studying locality – it is possible to change the set call-up location. You may check the Regional Office of your place of residence and studying locality here.
My son is severely developmentally challenged, and yet he has now received a call-up notice letter with the post. How do we proceed from here?
- Please draft a free-form application for being exempted from the call-up presence liability and send this application by post addressed to your own Regional Office.
- Please send also a medical certificate of your son’s state of health by post addressed to your own Regional Office.
I live/study abroad. Do I have to attend the call-ups?
No, you don’t, as your call-up affairs will be dealt with in the call-ups on the basis of the call-up documentation that you have sent in advance by post addressed to the Regional Office.
- Please fill out the questionnaire concerning military service and for the evaluation of your state of health, Application for changing date of entry into service/service location (form nr 7550-448-8728) available here as well as a certificate on studies as applicable.
- In case you sustain a disease or an injury that will affect undertaking the military service, please include a medical certificate as documentation. (Note! The medical certificate must be on the FDF form (Medical examination form, nr 7550-448-8370) available here at puolustusvoimat.fi/en/forms.
- Please send all the documentation by post addressed to your own Regional Office in advance prior to the call-ups.
I forgot the set date for the examination of fitness for military service (i.e. an examination event organised by the Regional Office), and I’m afraid the said date was yesterday. What am I supposed to do now?
Without any delay, please contact your own Regional Office in order to settle this matter. Be prepared to visit the customer service point of the Regional Office in person and have on your civilian ID card.
In the call-ups I have been positioned in class C on the basis of my fitness for service. I view myself to be fine now and would like to enter military service. What do I need to do next?
- Please get a medical certificate and submit it to your own Regional Office for the purpose of inspecting your fitness for service class. This medical certificate must comprise a medical practitioner’s statement on your fitness for service class as well as on your ability to complete the service. (NB.! The medical certificate must be on the FDF form (Medical examination form, form nr 7550-448-8370) available online here.
- Send by the medical certificate by post addressed to your own Regional Office. After receiving the medical certificate, the Regional Office will then order you to attend an examination for determining your fitness for military service as organised by the Regional Office.
In the preliminary medical examination for persons liable for military service, the medical practitioner stated that I should be granted exemption from military service (class C). Do I still need to attend the call-ups?
You must attend the call-ups in person, unless the Regional Office has exempted you from call-up participation liability. This liability for call-up participation is in accordance with the Section 16 of the Conscription Act (1438/2007).
I would like to undertake the voluntary military service for women. How do I apply?
- Please fill out the application form for applying for the voluntary military service for women, Hakemus naisten vapaaehtoiseen asepalvelukseen (in Finnish, form nr 7550-428-0311). You can access this application form online at puolustusvoimat.fi/asiointi/lomakkeet.
- You must include in the application a medical certificate on fitness for military service. (NB.! The medical certificate must be on the FDF form (Medical examination form, form nr 7550-448-8370) available here (in Finnish) at puolustusvoimat.fi/asiointi/lomakkeet.
- Include in your application the Questionnaire on military service and for examination of health filled out.
- Please send your application by addressed to your own Regional Office by 1 March.
- If you apply for the special operations forces, look up the application instructions available online at varusmies.fi/en/special-operations-forces.
Additional information on the voluntary military service for women can be accessed here.
I should postpone the starting date of my conscript service, because I have started studying at a university/I must finish my studies. What should I do?
You should apply for changing the service starting date in the Regional Office.
- Please fill out the application form for changing the service starting date/service location, Application for changing date of entry into service/service location (form nr 7550-448-8728) by specifying the grounds for submitting this application. You can access the application form online at puolustusvoimat.fi/en/forms.
- You must include in the application a certificate on studies that dates back no more than three months in maximum. If you are only about to begin your studies at this point, include a letter of approval by an educational institution.
- Please send your application with its attachments by post addressed to your own Regional Office.
I am facing problems with my health/I am awaiting an operation, and my conscript service is due to begin. How do I get this sorted out?
Please send a less than three-month-old medical certificate to your own Regional Office. This medical certificate must comprise a medical practitioner’s statement concerning the start of the conscript service as well as a diagnosis. You remain responsible for covering the expenses relating to the certificate.
I am due to start the conscript service a year from now in the summer, but because of my current life situation, I would very much like to start already earlier? How do I proceed?
- Please fill out the amendment application form for changing the service starting date and/or service location, Application for changing date of entry into service/service location (form nr 7550-448-8728). Fill out the application form carefully and state in your own words the need for this change. You can access the application form here.
- Please send your substantiated amendment application for changing the service starting date and/or service location by post addressed to your own Regional Office.
I seem to be unable to find my order to enter service. Where do I get a new one?
Please contact your own Regional Office and ask for a new order to enter service.
I am unsure about my own physical fitness level at present. How can I become fit before the military service?
Before starting the military service, it really pays off to start getting fit. You can test your present fitness level online at MarsMars.fi. This program provides you with an upwards advancing training programme. In fact, the three-month-long bespoke fitness programme has been tailored for prospective conscripts to take before they enter the garrison premises.
Which type of medical certificate will be approved by the Finnish Defence Forces?
The Finnish Defence Forces will primarily approve recently issued medical certificates on the specific FDF form, Medical examination form (form nr 7550-448-8370), available for the purpose available online here. The medical certificate must be on the FDF form for the health inspections concerning the call-ups as well as the voluntary military service for women.
Is it possible for me to switch from non-military (civilian) service to conscript service instead?
When you have applied for non-military (civilian) service but realise that you do not want to complete the liability for military service in the form of a non-military service, you may apply for a transfer back to conscript service. Prior to starting the non-military service, you may reapply once back to military service. The Civilian Service Centre will approve the application if you state in your application that your conviction no longer prevents you from undertaking the service in accordance with the Conscription Act. Please note that you may not file this application once you have started your non-military service, or following the year during which you have turned 28. Additional information available by the Civilian Service Centre can be accessed online here.
I need a certificate (e.g. for my employer, or to give to the police for a passport application or a firearms permit application) stating that I have been granted exemption from undertaking conscript service, or stating that I have already completed the military service part of the liability for military service? Where can I apply for this type of a certificate?
You will get this certificate at your own Regional Office. Alternatively, you may also receive this certificate submitted to you as an email attachment by sending a request via email to your own Regional Office. You can look up the contact information of your own Regional Office.
In which types of service tasks can I get to serve?
The procedures for selecting individuals for future training in versatile service tasks will take place already during the basic training period. Therefore it is advisable that you from the very beginning do your best and show that you remain motivated. A good attitude will take you a long way. Additional information on the varying service tasks available in your own brigade-level unit can be accessed online at varusmies.fi/palvelustehtavat-ja-paikat. Become also familiar with the FDF’s special operations forces and demanding tasks online at the sites of the given units.
How can I get even more out of my military service?
Before to the call-ups and prior to entering service, think about how you could utilise the competence, knowledge and skills that you have accumulated in the civilian life. It is also worth considering which type of training would be most beneficial for you also after the conscript period.
You may undertake the military service by, for instance, serving in the Finnish Defence Forces’ special operations forces or in special tasks. While serving in the FDF’s special operations forces, you get to challenge yourself in demanding training that presupposes that you separately apply for this training. As for special tasks, you get to utilise the competence and training that you have already accumulated in the civilian life.
Voinko suorittaa varusmiespalveluksen muuten kuin aseellisessa palveluksessa?
Jos vakaumuksesi estää sinua suorittamasta asevelvollisuuttasi aseellisessa palveluksessa, voit hakea aseettomaan palvelukseen. Aseetonta palvelusta suorittavana et osallistu asekoulutukseen, muuten palveluksesi on samanlainen kuin aseellisessa palveluksessa olevalla. Lisätietoa aseettomasta palveluksesta löytyy tästä.
After the Military Service
Minut on määrätty viikon mittaiseen kertausharjoitukseen, mutta työesteen/opintojen/perhetilanteen/ammatin harjoittamisen/taloudellisen tilanteen/muun henkilökohtaisen syyn vuoksi en voi osallistua. Mitä minun pitää tehdä?
Mikäli este on lyhytaikainen, sinun kannattaa ensisijaisesti hakea lomaa harjoituksesta. Mikäli este on pidempikestoinen, sinun tulee hakea harjoituksesta vapauttamista.
Varusmiespalveluksen suorittamisen jälkeen terveydentilassani on tapahtunut muutoksia. Miten minun tulee toimia?
Toimita lääkärinlausunto terveydentilastasi aluetoimistoon. Lausunnosta tulee ilmetä lääkärin kannanotto palveluskelpoisuuteesi ja diagnoosi. Vastaat itse lääkärinlausunnon kuluista.
Mistä saan tietää, paljonko minulla on ylennykseen oikeuttavia kertausharjoitusvuorokausia?
Ole yhteydessä omaan aluetoimistoosi tai käy aluetoimiston asiakaspalvelupisteessä.
Olen reserviläinen ja haluaisin päästä kertausharjoituksiin. Miten voisin päästä kertaamaan?
Puolustusvoimat järjestää kertausharjoituksia sodan ajan joukkojen valmiuden ja suorituskyvyn lisäämiseksi. Mahdollisuuteen osallistua kertausharjoituksiin ei voi siis itse vaikuttaa. Mikäli olet kiinnostunut kehittämään sotilaallisia taitojasi, tutustu Maanpuolustuskoulutusyhdistyksen koulutuskalenteriin osoitteessa mpk.fi.
Haluaisin tietää sodan ajan sijoitukseni. Mistä ja miten saan tiedon?
Saat tiedon käymällä aluetoimiston asiakaspalvelussa ja esittämällä henkilötodistuksesi.
Miksi minua ei ole ylennetty, vaikka minulla on jo mielestäni riittävä määrä kertausharjoitusvuorokausia ja edellisestä ylennyksestä on vaikka kuinka kauan?
Ylentäminen edellyttää pääsääntöisesti asevelvollisen sijoittamista tiettyä sotilasarvoa vastaavaan Puolustusvoimien sodan ajan tehtävään tai että hänet on varattu poikkeusolojen muuhun vaativaan tehtävään (lisätietoja henkilövarauksesta). Edellisestä ylennyksestä tulee olla kulunut vähintään neljä–viisi vuotta. Upseeriylennyksissä ylennysten välinen aika pitenee – mitä korkeammasta sotilasarvosta on kyse.
Olen kadottanut sotilaspassini, miten saan uuden?
Sotilaspasseja ei uusita. Ota yhteys omaan aluetoimistoosi ja pyydä palvelustodistus.
Tarvitsen todistuksen (esim. työnantajalle, poliisille passia tai aselupaa varten yms.) siitä, että minut on vapautettu varusmiespalveluksen suorittamisesta tai olen jo suorittanut varusmiespalveluksen. Mistä saan ko. todistuksen?
Saat todistuksen pyytämällä omasta aluetoimistostasi.
Mistä voin saada rokotustietoni armeija-ajalta?
- Tarkasta ensin tietosi valtakunnallisesta Kanta-arkistosta omakanta-palvelussa osoitteesta kanta.fi/omakanta.
- Sotilaslääketieteen arkistosta voit tiedustella rokotustietojasi täyttämällä asiakirjatilauslomakkeen (lomakkeen löydät verkkosivuilta osoitteesta puolustusvoimat.fi/tietoa-meista/sotilaslaaketieteen-keskus/arkisto).
- Lähetä lomake osoitteeseen
Huom! Jotta arkistosta voidaan luovuttaa tietoja, tarvitsemme kirjallisen omakätisesti allekirjoitetun asiakirjatilauksen. Lisätietoja löydät Sotilaslääketieteen keskuksen verkkosivuilta puolustusvoimat.fi/tietoa-meista/sotilaslaaketieteen-keskus/arkisto.