Military English Terminology Course, Military French Terminology Course
1. Concept and Purpose of METC, MFTC
The aim of the course is for students to broaden their military vocabulary and activate their military English language communication skills. The course is a blended learning course including a three-week distance learning period during which students complete different assignments ending with a four-day instructor-led period.
The aim of the course is to enhance the language skills of military personnel in preparation for duties in crisis management or international tasks. The course is a blended learning course including a five-week distance learning period during which students complete different assignments ending with a five-day instructor-led period.
2. Learning Objectives
Upon completion of the course the students should be able to:
METC / MFTC
- Initiate and sustain conversations while considering intelligibility, small talk-related and cultural issues.
- Express himself/herself clearly in writing in English/French while applying grammatical rules and appropriate idiomatic and military expressions.
- Understand various concepts of PSO, with emphasis on related terminology.
- Recognise vocabulary related to EU, NATO and UN orders and directives.
- Use essential expressions, styles and abbreviations in the context of staff work.
3. Student Criteria
To be eligible to attend the courses, nominees must fulfil the following criteria:
- Have a planned task in a Peace Support Operation.
- Have to fulfil at least the following proficiency standards in English, as described in STANAG 6001: Listening (3), Speaking (2), Reading (3), and Writing (2).
- Have to fulfil at least the following proficiency standards in French, as described in STANAG 6001: Listening (2), Speaking (1), Reading (2), and Writing (1).
- Have a consistent ability for independent work.
- Have basic computer skills.
4. Course Dates
Course is not availbale in 2019