NORDEFCO United Nations Military Experts on Mission Course
1. Concept and Purpose of UNMEM
The aim of the course is to prepare Military Officers for service as UN Military Observers, Military Liaison Officers or Military Advisers in any on-going or future UN Peacekeeping Operation (UNPKO).
2. Learning Objectives
Upon completion of the course the students should be able to:
- Comprehend the UN Integrated Mission Concept.
- Comprehend the basic documents, guidelines and principles of the UN Integrated Mission.
- Apply the different skills of a Military Expert on Mission.
- Analyse the nature of modern conflicts and the UN’s contribution to an integrated approach.
The UNMEM Course consists of lessons on theory, case studies, basic exercises and a final field exercise covering the following topics:
- UN Organisations, present on-going UNPKOs.
- Observer/Liaison/Adviser duties, emphasis on reporting and assessment procedures.
- Cross-cultural, political, social, religious and other factors prevailing in mission areas.
- Time, climatic, topographical and environmental conditions under which service may have to be conducted.
- Other abilities to enable the individual officer to solve tasks that might be given to him/her immediately subsequent to his/her arrival in the mission area.
3. Student Criteria
To be eligible to attend the course, nominees must fulfil the following criteria:
- Be a nationally trained officer with a working experience in excess of five years (CAPT to COL).
- Language proficiency: Working level English language skill. Language testing is a national responsibility. The working language is English. No additional language training or translation is provided.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Be physically fit.
- Have basic computer skills.
- Additionally, for MILAD students, previous experience of PSOs is required.
4. Course Dates
UNMEM 1 (FIN.1137.62) 27 March – 13 April 2017
UNMEM 2 (FIN.1137.63) 14 August – 01 September 2017
5. Course Fee
€2,000 for non-Nordic participants.
6. How to apply
Non-Nordic applicants: The application period for UNMEM 1/2017 course will end 17 February 2017. The application form can be found on the internet at:
Nordic applicants (NORDEFCO countries): Course seats have been allocated in advance between the NORDEFCO countries. Please, contact your own HQ and/or national POC for further information.
Finnish applicants: Based on manning lists, reservists are called annually by the Pori Brigade and regular soldiers by the Army HQ.