NORDEFCO Peace Support Operations Cooperation Course (Tactical level)
1. Concept and Purpose of PSOCC
The aim of the course is to prepare nationally trained officers heading for a UN-, EU-, NATO or AU-led Peace Support Operation for coordination, liaison and cooperation tasks. A subordinated purpose is also to develop and improve the working skills of the individual student with emphasis on coordination, liaison and cooperation in order to be able to work in a multicultural environment and enhance interoperability.
2. Learning Objectives
Upon completion of the course the students should be able to:
- Describe UN integrated and NATO/EU comprehensive approaches at tactical level.
- Comprehend the nature of the operational interaction concept in a PSO.
- Comprehend the collaboration and coordination between different actors aiming for better liaison and information sharing at tactical level.
PSOCC consists of lessons on theory, case studies, practical exercises and a final exercise covering the following topics:
- UN Integrated approach and NATO/EU Comprehensive approach.
- Interaction with different actors in a PSO environment.
- Cross-cultural, political, social, religious and other factors prevailing in the mission areas.
- Meeting/negotiation techniques.
- Information gathering and analysing, assessment and reporting.
3. Student Criteria
To be eligible to attend the course, nominees must fulfil the following criteria:
- Military officers, such as liaison officers, staff officers, unit commanders etc. who need special skills for conducting negotiation, liaison, cooperation and coordination with different actors in a PSO environment.
- Rank mainly from OR-6 (SGT) to OF-4 (LTC).
- Language proficiency: Working level English language skill. Language testing is a national responsibility. The working language is English. No additional language training or translation is provided.
- Have basic computer skills.
- No previous experience of PSOs is required. The course is ideal for students with no experience of PSOs.
4. Course Dates
PSOCC 1 (FIN.2732.25) 30 January – 10 February 2017
PSOCC 2 (FIN.2732.26) 18 – 29 September 2017
5. Course Fee
€1,400 for non-Nordic participants.
6. How to apply
Non-Nordic applicants: The application period for PSOCC courses in 2016 has ended.
Nordic applicants (NORDEFCO countries): Course seats have been allocated in advance between the NORDEFCO countries. Please, contact your own HQ and/or national POC for further information.
Finnish applicants: Based on manning lists, reservists are called annually by the Pori Brigade and regular soldiers by the Army HQ.