European Security and Defence College Core Course on Security Sector Reform
1. Concept and Purpose of SSR
This advanced course is designed for practitioners and professionals who are working in the field of SSR and would like to gain more insight into the concept, context and components of SSR. Packed with exercises, case studies and role plays, this intensive course helps participants understand the challenges relating to SSR and help evolve possible solutions to common roadblocks.
The course is organised by the Finnish Defence Forces International Centre within the framework of the Academic Programme of the European Security and Defence College (ESDC).
2. Learning Objectives
Upon completion of the course the students should be able to:
- Revisit the main principles of the Introductory SSR Course.
- Understand the context within which SSR is carried out, and the related challenges.
- Focus on specific components of SSR like police, defence, justice and rule of law, etc.
- Mainstream cross-cutting issues into their SSR programmes.
- Hone their soft skills, such as negotiation and bargaining.
- Be exposed to tools like SWOT or stakeholder analysis.
3. Student Criteria
To be eligible to attend the course, nominees must fulfil the following criteria:
- Senior practitioners and officials directly involved in SSR activities.
- All the candidates applying for this Core Course on SSR should have completed a basic course on SSR.
4. Course Dates
ESDC Core Course on SSR 5 – 9 June 2017
5. Course Fee
No course fee.
6. How to apply
Application instructions will be available later.